Friday, September 22, 2006

Bring me Shrubbery

No, I'm not one of the Knights Who Say Nit? (sp?) I'm just trying to landscape. We negotiated the price of our house down but we did have to make some sacrifices on what was included. The builder has this plan for deluxe Buena Vista landscaping (I have no idea what that is) so we cut that out. Hey, we can dig holes and shake out pine needles. We're not helpless. The big problem is, deciding what to put where. I had this great idea to put rhododendrums across the front. Bad mistake. They could not take the hot sun that bounced off our driveway. See the picture below to see how they curled up and died. Lesson learned. So we went down to visit the local greenhouse. Luckily the nice man that owned it decided to run by our house and was full of suggestions One of the perks of living in a small town. So we've got Inidan Hawthorne and Loribellum (sp?) and crepe myrtles and liriope and days lillies and roses and will hopefully finish up this weekend with two Foster Hollies. And for a lot less than Buena Vista cost. There's a lot to be said for doing it yourself. Time to go shake out some pine needles.

3 comments:

Sonja Foust said...

Sounds beautiful! I love crepe myrtles. I have some of the prettiest ones I've ever seen in my yard. (And thanks to the previous homeowners for that.)

Azaleas always seem to do well. I didn't even kill the one in full sun that I forgot to water most of the summer. And I can kill ANYthing.

Sonja Foust said...

Oh, and I forgot to say I love your cover art slide show in your sidebar! Too cool. I want one! ... But, um, I guess I need some cover art first. :-D

Cindy Holby said...

Isn't the sidebar cool? It took me forever to get it the right side. You could do it with regular pics too. See how much I've learned about web site design?