Friday, July 06, 2007

The great kitten rescue

A few weeks back my neighbor called me over as I was out walking Cody. "Hey Cindy, I got some kittens for you," he said.

"I don't want any kittens. I'm going on vacation," I replied.

"But there are kittens under the dumpster." He pointed to the house under construction and sure enough, under the dumpster was an orange kitten. I put Cody up and went back to investigate with a can of cat food. Other neighbors saw us out and soon there were eight of us trying to wrangle two stray kittens from underneath the dumpster. One couple immediately named them Peaches and Patches and I was happy and relieved that the kittens had a home.

Until this past Sunday. 10 days after the kitten rescue. My neighbor Rita stops by. "Hey Cindy, there's another kitten over there.

Dang it! I immediately go and call "here kitty kitty and a tiny bag of bones sticks her nose out. I'm stuck. I don't want a kitten. I've got a dog and a cat. And this kitten was needy. But I also can't leave her so the next morning I take her to the vet. She's got parasites and she only weighs a pound and a half. I ask everyone there if they want her. Nope. I don't mind paying the vet bill but I don't want a kitten.

I bring her home and confine her to an upstairs bathroom because Cody is about to die.

Cody: Hey there's a kitten up there, did you know there's a kitten up there, hey, I want to see the kitten, let me see the kitten, I just want to lick it, can I see the kitten?

ME: No Cody. The kitten is fine. Let's leave her alone for a while. Translate that to let's let her figure out what a litter box is.

By Monday night I'm hooked. Tuesday I bought a pink sparkley collar. Today my skin looks like a pin cushion...sharp claws...she thinks I'm a giant toy. Her name is Maddie and I guess I'm hooked.

unless someone wants a kitten....

2 comments:

Sonja Foust said...

Aw she's adorable. :) Isn't it funny how we always seem to end up with pets when we least expect them? Our dog kind of just happened, too.

Maggie~Jane said...

soooo cute. The collar is bigger than her.

Maggie