Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Dark

We lost power from the ice storm last week. The first night it was nice. Watching the fire, knitting by candlelight, snuggling under two extra quilts on the bed.

Not so nice the next morning. I'm one of these people who can't function without a hot shower. I need to shampoo my hair! We managed to get cleaned up enough to go spend the day at the mall with all the other miserable stinky people. The power company said this was our worst outages since Hugo came through several years ago.

It's one thing to look outside to a winterwonderland and not have power. It's something else entrely to have 50 degree weather and not have power. It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, we came back on the following evening. I was extremely grateful because my birthday was over the weekend and I did not want to spend it in the dark.

It's funny how you take things for granted until they're gone. And yes, I kept flipping on light switches out of habit everytime I walked into a room.

Wishful thinking I guess.

1 comment:

Sonja Foust said...

That's the nice thing about gas water heaters: warm water no matter if the power goes out or not. (Of course, then you also have to be on city water.)

Glad your power's back!