Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Stargazer


Okay, I keep getting the same thing over and over again. Colby Hodge ripped off Riddick. Nope, didn't do it. Stargazer came to me back in 2000, which is the year that Pitch Black came out but for all I knew it was a horror movie. Shaun Phoenix was a well defined character in my manuscript before I ever saw the movie.

Stargazer was the second book I wrote. I started it after I completed Chase The Wind. I sent it to my editor who suggested we sit it on the back burner until I had established myself as a writer of historicals.The book was complete and on my editors desk before Chronicles of Riddick ever came out. When I watched the movie (I admit it, big Riddick fan) I had a sinking sensation. I knew this was exactly what was going to happen. Everyone would think I ripped off Riddick.

Also been compared to Dune and Starwars. Which isn't bad. I got a lot of inspiration from those stories. I was always addicted to Star Trek. BattleStar Gallactica (the original)and of course Starwars. I read all the Dune books and thought the Sci-Fi channel version was awesome. I loved James MacAvoy as LetoII and also the guy who played Duncan Idaho. And by the way, my original model for Shaun was Richard Hatch, http://battlestarfanclub.com/battlestar/bgphoto.htmwho played Apollo on BSG.

We get our inspiration from different places. I just knew what I liked and tried to compile what I liked about futuristics while building a realistic world. I've also been bashed by the reviews of historical romance for not following their set formula for what a story and characters should be like. Guess I'm in a no-win situation here.

Oh well, back to the writing....

No comments: